Monday, June 25, 2012

Deadlift Platform

Lifting platforms are cool. But they take up a lot of space, they can't really be moved or stored, they weigh hundreds of lbs., can potentially cost over a hundred dollars, and they require a truck or trailer to get the rather large materials home. I came up with a smaller, lighter, cheaper, and portable solution. Though it is designed specifically with deadlifts in mind, that is all I need it for. And it only cost me $15.



Cost: $15 - $20
Project Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: You have to cut plywood and use glue and screws.

Tools Needed:
  • Saw - Either a hand saw or a circular saw or other type of saw to cut plywood.
  • Caulk Gun - if you choose to use Liquid Nails to glue the rubber down
Materials Needed:
  • Plywood - I went with a single piece of 3/4" thick oriented strand board. It was 2' x 4'
  • Liquid Nails - (optional) If you want to glue the rubber down.
  • Wood Glue - (optional) not strictly necessary if you use screws but I like to use it. If you're using Liquid Nails for the rubber you can just use that to glue your plywood together.
  • Screws - make sure they are long enough to go through all layer of the plywood but no so long that they poke out of the bottom layer.  In my case, I used 1 inch long screws to secure two layers of 3/4 inch plywood.

I have been wanting a lifting platform for a while, but I just don't have the space for it.  I don't even really have the space for a half platform to use for deadlifts. But it's getting to the point where my deadlift is heavy enough to want some floor protection underneath.




A full size platform (8' x 8') weighs somewhere around 300 lbs. Hardly easy to move and obviously takes up a lot of space. I don't even really have room for a half size platform (8' x 4').  Since I want it for deadlifts only, and I don't pull sumo I really didn't need anything as big as a half platform. Instead I made a 3 piece design. It's light, you can move it when not in use, and it cost me only $15.

The whole thing weighs 28 lbs. and as you see in the video you can carry it all in one arm and easily store it away when not in use.

- Carl

3 comments:

  1. If you have excess rubber you could add 2 slim slices on top of each platform to avoid weights rolling off, should that be a concern.

    Great video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have standard plates and 25 pounders are the biggest. To raise the bar to proper height for deadlifts, I made two rectangular frames out of 2X3s set on edge. A plywood top. Carpet samples from Home Depot on top of that.

    It's pulling from a slight deficit, but I'm short so it's all good.

    Thank you for doing this website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have standard plates and 25 pounders are the biggest. To raise the bar to proper height for deadlifts, I made two rectangular frames out of 2X3s set on edge. A plywood top. Carpet samples from Home Depot on top of that.

    It's pulling from a slight deficit, but I'm short so it's all good.

    Thank you for doing this website.

    ReplyDelete