Monday, April 30, 2012

The Pinch Gripper

Video of me putting together a pinch grip tool made from scrap parts I had in the garage. I designed it to utilize what I had but it should give you an idea so you can change things if you want to buy better parts. It is made to work with a loading pin. In particular, the DIY loading pin on this website. If you had to buy the parts it would probably cost $5 to $10 depending on what you need. It cost me nothing.



Cost: less than $10
Project time: less than 30 minutes
Difficulty: You have to cut off a piece of 2x4 wood and drill holes in it.

Tools Needed:
  • Drill
  • Saw to cut wood (I used a normal hand saw)
  • Vice Grips, or Wrench (to turn screws more easily)
Materials Needed:
  • Small length of 2x4
  • 2 Eye Bolts or Eye Screws
  • 2 Washers and Nuts (if using bolts)
  • 2 Carabiners

This is something I put together quickly out of scrap parts. If you are using this with a normal loading pin you might have to adapt it slightly to work with the single hook on your pin. Off the top of my head, a length of chain between your eye bolts could work. Or simply use one bolt in the center of the wood. If you use a bolt I would boar out a hole in the top of the wood so you can sink your nut into the 2x4 so it doesn't interfere with your grip. Your bolt would have to be the perfect length in such a case. If you are using my chain loading pin design as seen on this blog then you won't have any of these issues.


- Carl

2 comments:

  1. Hey Carl, great blog! Just wanted to share with you that I recently made some simple farmers carry handles out of steel piping (less than 20 bucks). An essential strength exercise you might want to consider.

    ReplyDelete